Monday, July 17, 2006

Monday, July 17, 2006

Happy Birthday to me! How did I get to be this OLD! Anyway, I got a Grandma Birthday card from the Ledbetters, an E-card from Robin and a card was on the kitchen table when I got up this morning (from Dad). It's supposed to be really hot today, I'm not sure I'll want to go out for my Birthday dinner. We'll see.

I just finished reading 'Fifty Degrees Below' by Kim Stanley Robinson. I liked it alot. It took me a little while to get into it, but not too much. It's set in Washington. D.C. in a near future world where the environment is starting to go haywire. I hadn't read any of his books since the Mars trilogy. This one I liked better.

I recently read 'Parable of the Sower' by Octavia Butler and the first half of the book reminded me of the Watts riots. Violent. Hard to get through.

Also recently read 'The View from the Center of the Universe.' Fascinating. I can't quite get my mind around the fact that wherever you are is the center. And I also didn't realize that it has been pretty well established that the Universe is made up up of 70% dark matter, 25% dark energy, and the few percent left is what we know about.

I saw a couple of movies last week. 'The Devil wears Prada' and 'Pirates of the Carribbean'. Meryl Streep was excellent as the Dragon Lady in 'the Devil' otherwise it was a just a pretty good chickflick. 'Pirates' was way too long. I know that because I started looking at my watch every ten minutes about halfway through. But, it was worth it for the Johnny Depp character.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home