Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Why '512'? I like powers of 2. Comes from being fascinated with computers much of my adult life. 1 2 4 8 16 32 64 128 256 512....

I recently borrowed a couple of books from the Sweet Briar College library, through interlibrary loan.

'The Ascent of F6' being a play by W. H. Auden and Christopher Isherwood. Seems F6 was a mountain (in the play) and one of the main characters died at the summit (giving away the ending). The play was put on by the Mercury Theater, with music composed by Benjamin Britten. Interesting, but old fashioned. I think it was written in the early 1930's.

The other book was 'Degrees of Freedom; the Novels of Iris Murdoch' By A. S. Byatt. This is the first literary criticism book I remember reading. She reviewed 6 or so books by Murdoch. So I read one of the Murdoch books (An Unofficial Rose) and then read the critique by Byatt. No wonder I didn't get some of the Murdoch stuff. Byatt explains them in terms of Sartre! Not my cup of tea!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home