Thursday, January 18, 2007

Book Discussion Group

We discussed 'We Have Always Lived in the Castle' by Shirley Jackson at our local library discussion group yesterday. It was a book I had recommended to the library person in charge of the group. I had read it in 2005, after seeing it discussed online. I found it fascinating reading. Just before the group met, I re-read the book. I liked it even better the second time. It is concerned with the poisoning of Merricat and Constance's family. Merricat has a certain weirdness about her. During the discussion, some in the group thought that Merricat (Mary Katherine, the narrator) had Asberger's Syndrome. An almost 'Gothic' novel.

Shirley Jackson also wrote 'The Haunting of Hill House'. The movie 'The Haunting' with Liam Neeson, was inspired by that book. Shirley also wrote a short story called 'The Lottery' that was published in the New Yorker magazine years ago, that really caused a stir. You can find it in a collection now. I'm almost afraid to read it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good words.

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home